Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Strawberry Custard

That's right--I'm still making my way through the killos and killos of strawberries I have stashed away in my freezer. And loving it! There's nothing quite like excessive ingredients to get the creative juices flowing. It doesn't matter if it flops. There are always more berries to use. But what I had in mind didn't flop, and made a delicious dessert and afternoon snack for the babies too.
My love for strawberries and custard were combined to make one delicious pink and fruity version of the original vanilla custard, which disappeared from the fridge very quickly. We even had trails of it leading to secret hiding places where small children hid licking spoons covered in sticky goodness. Oh the things kids get up to when your back is turned!
I myself felt like hiding in a wardrobe and rocking backwards and forwards with a bowl of strawberry custard, as the nerves for my big cook off on the weekend have well and truly hit. Breathe. I just have to keep reminding myself. Breathe! (And eat custard).


STRAWBERRY CUSTARD (A Lick The Spoon Original)

2 cups milk
4 large egg yolks
6 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. cornflour

2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, room temperature
1/4 cup icing sugar

Place milk in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, combine yolks, sugar and cornflour and whisk over a low heat. When the milk has boiled, add a few tablespoons into the yolk mixture and whisk. Gradually add the remaining milk and whisk vigorously on a medium heat. Custard will thicken. Continue to whisk until boils, and remove from heat. Scrape into a small bowl and sit this bowl in a few inches of cold water or ice, to cease the cooking process. While cooling, hull the strawberries and process into a puree in the blender. Add the icing sugar and stir to combine well. Add to the warm custard and mix through well. Custard thickens upon refrigeration. Stores for 2-3 days.

5 comments:

  1. Very easy! Just keep stirring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Added a teaspoon of vinallia extract to make strawberries and cream

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally... someone who is making custard with fresh strawberries...thank you :). I've been searching for this everywhere. Are you able to give me the quantities in grams? thank you. Alain.

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...