Monday, October 22, 2012

Cous Cous Salad

There's something fantastic about cous cous. To me, living in Australia, it seems like a foreign food, and I do get a bit of a thrill out of eating it when I do. I love cous cous salads with bbqed meats on one of those hot summer days we're heading into, so when I saw this recipe on Josie's Kitchen blog for the Secret Recipe Club Reveal, I just had to make it. I added some shredded turkey, and left out the mint (only because the caterpillars which have infested my garden have eaten it all!) but I think the mint sounds delightfully refreshing for a summer's afternoon dinner. It's a light salad yet hearty at the same time. My kids love it, my little one year old came back for seconds (which is amazing because she hates solids!) So thank you Josie! It's a wonderful recipe that makes me think of Moroccan dishes, warm weather and sitting out on the deck with a glass of wine on those sultry summer nights...



COUS COUS SALAD (Adapted from  Josie's Kitchen)

1 cup water
olive oil
1 cup dry cous cous
handful fresh parsley
1 cucumber
2 firm, large tomatoes
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded turkey (pre cooked)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, boil water. Add one tablespoon olive oil to the water, plus the dry cous cous. Remove from heat and set aside with the saucepan lid on. When the water has been absorbed by the cous cous, remove from the saucpan into a salad bowl. Break up any lumps. If the lumps do not break down and it appears "gluggy", add a little more oil and mix through.
Finely chop the parsley.
Finely chop the cucumber and tomatoes. Mix the parsley, cucumber and tomatoes through the cous cous. Add the shredded turkey and mix through. Drizzle lemon juice over the salad. You may add salt and pepper to the salad if you desire.

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!! Very colorful. Darned those caterpillars! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great salad to make up for lunches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like to have sweet cous cous with dried fruit and nuts.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really yummy. Great pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE couscous and your salad sounds super tasty. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love couscous. It's such a flexible base for salads and side dishes. This sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couscous is great, it's so easy and it's a great platform for so many dishes. I especially love the way the Tunisians eat it. Summer time is definitely salad time, of course we're headed into winter ;( "Gluggy"? never heard of that one, it made me smile, for some reason it just tickled my funny bone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try it :) Keep up the wonderful work with your website! It's just darling!

    Stay Glamorous!
    xxxLottie Lee
    http://vintagewarbride.com

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...