Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Zucchini Boats

Have you ever come across someone that says they don't like eating something particular, and then you find out that they have never tasted it in their life? Have you ever wondered what makes people dislike certain  things they know nothing about? Just because an eggplant is called an eggplant doesn't mean it tastes like egg. Just because a chocolate icing looks brown like mud doesn't mean it tastes like mud!
You would think I'm talking solely about little children, but I'm talking adults here too. Well, I'm included there, I often find myself feeling prejudice against the poor old cauliflower, the parsnip and spinach. I think it comes down to families and what is frequently eaten and not eaten in the home. I love when people say they don't like something in particular because it sets me on a mission to convert them over.
This instance I converted myself!
Besides my zucchini soup which I love, I found it hard to prepare zucchini in a way that didn't repulse me. How could this stuff be cooked in a way that made it delicious? Well I was delighted when I came across this recipe for Zucchini Boats, and they look gourmet too (Something that never goes astray in my books). They're very easy to prepare and don't use many ingredients, but they pack a punch of flavour.
My little son and I found some cherry tomatoes that had grown in our very neglected vegie patch--somehow surviving the deathbed that it grew up in. We picked them, sliced them and put them on this garlic and lemon seasoned zucchini half, amongst the cheese that was then grilled and browned into a sizzling, delicious, golden crust.




ZUCCHINI BOATS (adapted from Proud Italian Cook)

4 small zucchinis
1 tbsp crushed garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
dash of lemon juice
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
1 punnet (approximately 16) cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
sprinkling grated Parmesan cheese

Set the oven at 180C.
Slice the zucchinis lengthways and arrange on a baking tray. Slice a slither off the bottoms if they do not lay evenly. Using a teaspoon, scrape the seeds out of each zucchini half, and discard.
In a small bowl, combine crushed garlic, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Brush the tops and ridges of the zucchinis with this mixture, then place the tray in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven and sprinkle the mozzarella in the zucchini ridges. Top with halves cherry or grape tomatoes, then sprinkle with a little Parmesan. Place underneath a hot grill or broiler and cook until sizzling and the cheese has browned. Serve immediately.

Makes 8 zucchini boats


4 comments:

  1. yum! I'm definitely trying these :) I have an abundant of zucchini from my garden right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zucchini are a great neutral-tasting food that can be used in anything from savory to sweet dishes. I recently made sweet carrot and zucchini muffins and they were really good - and healthy. I am sure your son loved those zucchini boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are great arent they! just got good boiled and slopped onto the plate as we used to eat them as kids...hehe.

      Delete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...