Sunday, September 2, 2012

Strawberry Heart Cupcake Toppers

I've probably mentioned it before, but one of my all-time favourite ingredients in the kitchen is gelatine. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the terminology though. Most of my viewers are American and over in US the popular term is jello (for the flavoured gelatine at least). I don't know how many times I've been asked wheat "jelly" is--well, it's jello! And gelatine is unflavoured jello. Gelatine or gelatin comes in powder form, and jelly in crystal form due to the added sugar, colouring and flavouring. In this recipe I use both, so I hope it's not too confusing for everyone!
I discovered this recipe over at Six Sister's Stuff and the author made these funny little gelatine nibbles for her little son as a snack. It' great, because they don't have to be refrigerated like normal jellies to stay firm, because the gelatine is so concentrated. I had a hard time removing these from my silicone molds, but it helps if you ease one side from the edge with the help of a butter knife, then just push the jelly out and voila! It is so gelatinous, it won't tear with your efforts. Get those biceps in there!
I made these cute little cupcake toppers in a silicone heart mold for an engagement party. They looked really cute and unique atop these chocolate fudge cupcakes that were drizzled with pink tinted white chocolate ganache. Unfortunately all the little kids at the party got to them before they could be appreciated by the adults. A winner at a little girl's party too, I'm guessing. You can add a little edible glitter to the mixture before pouring them into the molds too if you like a little glitz and glimmer in your food. Now that would go down well at a little girls princess party!


STRAWBERRY HEART CUPCAKE TOPPERS (from Six Sister's Stuff)

1/3 cup boiling water
1 packet (3oz) flavoured jelly crystals
2 tbsp. unflavoured gelatin

Place the water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Shower the jelly crystals and the gelatin over the water and stir until dissolved. Quickly pour the mixture into heart shaped silicone molds and refrigerate for about half an hour until firm.


4 comments:

  1. They look so glittery, like they have fairy dust in them - gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING! I'm stealing the idea and making orange pumpkins for the fall - don't worry, I'll link back :)

    ReplyDelete


  3. These are beautiful.As wedding cake toppers looks much beautiful. We can use such in any occasions. As these are easily available in market. We can buy such toppers online through various online stores. for more info you can check graciousbridal.com .

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.toppersnotes.com/product-category/cbse-xii/

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...