Friday, May 11, 2012

Strawberry Oreo Kulter Hund Chunks

It literally translates to "Cold Dog", but that conjures up images of jellied, chunky canned pet food to me. Have you ever wondered how dogs and cats could like eating that stuff?
Well, if eating this German Kulter Hund makes me a dog, so be it, and if it makes me a cold dog, well...maybe I am?
This German favourite is usually made with plain baby biscuits. The plain, rectangular milk biscuits that would be given to babies in the first year or two of life are the ones I'm talking about. The ones that are always the last to go from the family selection pack of biscuits.
So here's a wonderful way to use up those more plain biscuits that can accumulate in the bottom of the tin. I've used strawberry oreos for this recipe to add extra decadence. Who knew oreos have been around for 100 years? I only heard of them about two years ago...I must have been living under a rock. I suppose they're not as common in Australia as they are in America, but I decided to give them a go. After all, just about every cooking blog has something oreo. They must be good!
Truth is...they're delicious. Chocolate ripple biscuits are still my favourite all time biscuit for recipe additions though. Both biscuits have been known to make fabulous pie crusts and fillings for various desserts.
Now just a quick note about these Oreo Kulter Hund Chunks. They're so easy to put together that a child could do it, and there's no cooking involved (just the chocolate melting which can be done in the microwave). They can be a bit messy to make, especially as I made this lot in a 20x20cm bundt tin, but it's so worth it when it's set, and you cut off those lumps of chocolatey-oreoey goodness. It can be a little crumbly between cuts, so grab a zip lock bag and sweep up the crumbly bits...it's fantastic over ice cream! So...even for those of you who don't bake, there's no excuse not to whip this up for your mum on Mother's Day! It's child's play.




STRAWBERRY OREO KULTER HUND CHUNKS

450g good quality compound chocolate (I used Nestle)
250g strawberry flavoured oreo biscuits

Grease and line a pan of your choice. (I used a 20x20cm bundt tin, but a loaf pan is fine as well). Melt half the chocolate very gently in a microwave proof bowl, stopping at 30 second intervals until the chocolate is almost melted and can be stirred smooth. pour a layer of chocolate into the pan to cover the bottom. Cover the chocolate in a layer of oreos. Smooth on more melted chocolate over the oreos. Melt the remaining chocolate.
Layer again with oreos, and repeat with the remaining oreos and chocolate, finishing off in a layer of chocolate. Refrigerate to set, before cutting into rough chunks.

Wrap in cellopane and tie with a ribbon for a budget friendly and delicious Mother's Day gift!


3 comments:

  1. YUM!! I just pinned this one. I can't believe I never thought of doing this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic name for something so simple. I tend to buy only plain biscuits Louise so that I can do something decadent with them. (The kids seem to like them too.) I don't know what the big deal is with Oreos but they're ok I guess. Sometimes you can pick them up marked down at the supermarket because we don't seem to think they're as good as the Americans.

    I'm going to try this.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...