Monday, May 21, 2012

Millionaire's Nuggets

So after a marathon of lots of tasty savory delights for the blog for the Gourmet Gardens Herb Blog off, I am back with a super scrumptious sweet. It's that time of the month again, reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club. Erin from Making Memories  had me looking at her page for weeks, I couldn't decide what to make for this month's reveal. Erin has an interesting blog filled with fun ideas for things to do with your kids, including some very yummy looking recipes. I found amongst it all a recipe for millionaires nuggets, and thought it looked like my sort of affair. Caramel-y, gooey, sweet, covered in chocolate...maybe some marshmallows in there too. I have been meaning to make Millionaire's tarts for quite a while now, and realised this would probably give me my millionaire's fix. Oh so tasty.
I couldn't for the life of me find caramels in the store, so I made my own basic caramel instead. Erin from Making Memories melted down a 14oz bag of caramels to pour over the rice bubbles ("Rice Krispies" in USA I'm guessing!) but I think my caramel worked out really well in the end as a substitute.
Eureka!
I also splashed them with a bit of edible gold dust to jazz those babies up a bit. A little gold bling never goes astray.


MILLIONAIRE'S NUGGETS (Adapted from Making Memories)

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup marshmallows, chopped (or use mini marshmallows)
1 1/2 cup Rice Bubbles (or Rice Krispies)
2 cups dark chocolate buttons
edible gold dust to decorate, if desired

Place the sugar, honey and butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir occasionally, until the butter melts and the mixture boils and bubbles. Remove from heat. Stir the marshmallows through immediately. Then add the rice bubbles and combine.
Scoop tablespoons full of hot mixture into a silicone mini muffin tray (or a well-greased tin mini muffin tray). Press mixture down until even. Place in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. Remove from tray and place on baking paper. Melt the chocolate in two batches. In a microwave proof bowl, heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until smooth and well melted. Dip each nugget into the chocolate until well-covered, and replace on the baking paper. Repeat with remaining nuggets and chocolate. Sprinkle with gold dust if desired.

Makes 16

NOTES: You can also roll the mixture into balls, if preferred. Prepare your hands firstly with a generous amount of cooking oil before beginning, as the mixture is quite sticky (and may be hot!) You can buy edible gold dust  in decorating stores, or online (I bought mine from a cake decorating place on eBay)

32 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you dusted yours with gold dust! Absolutely perfect! So glad you liked them! =o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erin:) its a great recipe and my son and i had lots of sticky fun making them:)

      Delete
  2. Love these! I just pinned them to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Toni! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. my two year old proceeded to bite a chunk out of each after I took these photos, he thought they were that good! ;)

      Delete
  3. Ummmmm...yes, please! I will take a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!!! You can't go wrong with this combination of ingredients - what a fun choice for SRC. Reveal day is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sara! it was a fun recipe, definitely great for the kids (and the kid in us adults!)

      Delete
  5. Oh, these look so yummy, and I love the touch of gold dust! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Teri! that gold dust has become a new favourite of mine in the kitchen...looks so pretty on everything!

      Delete
  6. Millionaire...gold dust, I get it! I bet it taste like a million buck too, with that ooey gooey caramel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rhonda:) they did taste a million bucks, very sweet and gooey!

      Delete
  7. That bit of gold dust was the perfect touch for these millionaire's nugget's. Chocolate, caramel and the crunch of Rice Krispies make a treat we would love. Love the recipe you chose for this month's SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum...pretty and sweet! Great SRC choice, Louise!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love Erin's blog--she is one awesome lady. these look yummy, I would like one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I might make these for a party on Monday. I've learned that little chocolate things do very well at a potluck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they'll go well Debbi! They are quite rich so make sure you make them small:) thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  11. Those look spectacular. I'd expect to find them in a high-end chocolate shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks very much Daniel, I think it's the gold shimmer that takes them to another level:) thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  12. Um yes please!! Those look amazing - love the addition of the gold glitter - it totally takes them over the top! Great choice for SRC. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by Kirstin! they were really yummy. It's a honey caramel, so if you dont like honey and plan to make this, maybe you can add less to the caramel. super yummy though!

      Delete
  14. These look so good! There is a candy bar I love that is similar to this, I totally need to make some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by Jo! must make, stat!

      Delete
  15. Oooh! They look amazing. This would be a great Xmas gift idea!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...