Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rich Banana Ice Cream

I know I've said it before, but one of the perks of living in a sub tropical climate is the abundance of delicious fruit. Bananas, mango, papaya, and many more simply thrive up here in Queensland, so there's almost always one of the three in the house. The smell of mangoes is especially divine, and I add that delightful fruit to my next batch of ice cream. If you haven't noticed, we're having a bit of an ice cream marathon in this house. Don't worry, the baked goods will be back in full force soon, with the winter weather on the way. Not that it will stop me from indulging in a little ice cream here and there, but I must say I am looking forward to the house being cool enough to be able to have the oven on without discomfort! Bring on the fresh bread, cakes and pies! I am sure they will take my addiction off ice cream momentarily.
However, I think we've hit upon another favourite ice cream recipe in this house. My husband and I think it's on a par with the last batch of  Creamy Chocolate Ice Cream we made, which I never thought any other ice cream would compare to in richness, texture and flavour.
I was a little skeptical to be honest, and so you can imagine my surprise when I tasted this rich, creamy smooth banana ice cream...it is decadent! Who ever thought banana could be so good? I must apologise about the pictures though. The severe melting is due to being called away while photographing, and ending up with it all looking a little softer than it should. Melted or not, it's delicious!



RICH BANANA ICE CREAM (adapted from Mistral Igloo Ice Cream maker manual)

3 medium bananas, ripe and mashed
1 egg white
1/2 cup caster sugar
250ml cream
pinch of salt
1 tsp lemon juice

Beat the egg white until light and fluffy. Add a little of the sugar at the end of the mixing process. In a medium bowl, mash bananas. Add the remaining sugar, cream, salt and lemon juice and mix to combine. Gently fold in the egg white mixture. Refrigerate overnight, before placing in the canister to churn and freeze.

Makes about 800ml, depending on banana size


5 comments:

  1. The fact that the ice cream looks like it's sort of melting only makes it that much more enticing! You can already tell it's thick and creamy, and these pictures make it more so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks love! now that you put it that way, I see what you mean...it does show off its creaminess! thanks for visiting Lick The Spoon!

      Delete
  2. This looks wonderful...and banana is one of my favorites! Your timing is perfect, we just got a new ice cream maker yesterday! I'm terrible at conversions, but if I figured right I could double this recipe for my 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker? I can't wait to try this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! so glad you've got an icecream maker, they are so much fun! this is a good one to start off with. I just googled how much a quart is and its about 950ml, so doubling the recipe would be fine for the size machine you have:) enjoy! and thanks for popping by!

      Delete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...