Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Custard Toffee Cream Desserts


You know those times that you plan to have people over, after a big feast day like Easter, and you're not sure if you should make as much food as usual? You know no one's going to have a very large appetite if they've done the traditional chocolate egg eating. So, to make dessert, or not to?
I hate having too many leftovers, especially when it's just hubby and I who have to polish them off (trust me I don't need that temptation!) 
So I fell in love with this recipe for Custard Toffee Cream Desserts, because you can assemble them on the spot quickly, so as to only cater for as many people as feels like dessert to top off the meal. It's very simple, and very rich--like a disassembled banoffee pie with added vanilla custard. I cheated with this recipe and used store bought toffee sauce (like the goo that you usually pour over ice cream) but here's a fabulous recipe for home made caramel sauce that's to die for. I also made my own vanilla custard because I like it really thick and creamy, but for ease, I have just listed it in the ingredients as store bought.


INDIVIDUAL CUSTARD TOFFEE CREAM DESSERT (Adapted from Glorious Treats)

1 small banana, sliced (reserve one slice for garnish)
1/4 cup whipped cream
1/4 cup thick custard
1 crushed biscuit (we used shortbread fingers)
drizzling of toffee or caramel sauce

Crush biscuit and place in the bottom of the glass. Layer banana, then custard, toffee, cream, banana, custard and then toffee again. Pipe a swirl of cream on the top and garnish with a slice of banana. Serve immediately.

Serves 1




1 comment:

Give me some sugar, Sugar...