Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bounty Balls

I was feeling a bit overwhelmed the other day...two crying babies who had trouble sleeping and toys thrown all over the house, no dinner made and husband back from work any second. It was a teary moment. I started to wonder, was this what they called the baby blues? And then I realised how long it had been since I went into that kitchen and made something I didnt have to make...just make something for the sole pleasure of it.
Being in the kitchen is therapeutic to me, its my time out, where I can create and enjoy a little time by myself, and recharge the old batteries. I'm not talking that time where you have to whip up the dinner with a hungry baby crying in your ear. I'm talking the babies-in-bed-silence, glass of vino in hand and the-world-is-your-oyster type of kitchen time.
I knew that was what I needed to cheer myself up, and when my darling hubby came home I got just that. What was something totally superfluous that I could make? Then I remembered how everyone had enjoyed the homemade bounty bars I had recently made and set about making just that...but in balls, covered in dark chocolate. Talk about a cure for the "baby blues"!
I am pleased to say that there are no blues anymore, it seemed to be the perfect cure. And...my babies are sleeping much better (bye-bye insomniacs) and that my dear, is why I am able to blog a little! Ah the simple things in life. The greatest pleasures. (They're gluten free sweets, too!)


HOMEMADE BOUNTY BALLS

3 cups dessicated coconut
200g sweetened condensed milk
1/2-3/4 cup icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
350g dark chocolate, melted

Combine the coconut and condensed milk in a large bowl. Add enough icing sugar to make a stiff mixture.Add the vanilla and stir until well combined. Roll into walnut sized balls and refrigerate overnight until hardened.Coat in melted chocolate and serve when set.



11 comments:

  1. so glad you enjoyed them annie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get too stressed out! :]
    The recipe looks divine, by the way! I find baking and cooking therapeutic too, no matter how much my dad objects against it!

    http://daily-iphoneography.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! I found them on tastespotting (or was it pinterest?). Anyway, I just have one question. Was your coconut sweetened or unsweetened? I always get a little confused about what kind of coconut to use! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Brenna, the coconut I used is unsweetened dessicated. I've never heard of sweetened coconut! im sure it would be just as delicious if you used sweetened coconut, maybe just use a little less icing sugar in the recipe:) thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm so excited to try these!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I work at an English/Czech preschool in the Czech republic and run a Cooking club there. Today we tried your recipe and it was a great success! Children absolutely loved that and parents couldn´t believe their eyes. Thank you!
    Markéta
    buba.mara@seznam.cz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Marketa! you have no idea how much joy this gives me to hear your story:) i am so glad you and your children enjoyed them! God Bless!

      Delete
  5. These look heavenly. I can't wait to try them & excited they are gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm so sorry--I just cant recall! I would say 20 or more.

      Delete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...