Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lemon Lime Meringue Pie

So a few days back while plotting out what delicious morsel I was going to make for Mother's Day, I wondered--how many of you made the World's Best Scrambled Eggs, and why aren't there any photos being posted of dazzling engagement rings? Goodness. Did no one get a proposal after making that creamy, amazingly moreish breakfast for their boyfriends? I am thinking I might have to make a video so you can see my technique...its all in the technique! A bit like making choux pastry really--all in the timing and the hands. Sigh. I was expecting gushing stories and wedding invitations coming my way.
Anyway. I just wanted to say a word about Mums, seeing as I saw a recent poll on facebook about Mother's Day and it seems--No one makes much of an effort! The largest percentage of mothers said its "a day like any other" in their household and I think its a shame. Come on, those women carried you for nine months (and you lived off her like a parasite), went through numerous hours of painful labour to squeeze you out, and then nourished you for years, looked after you, was on call 24/7, kissed all those booboos, loves you beyond any other--cant you bake her a cake? Make her scrambled eggs in bed? Do the dishes at least? I hope every Mum got pampered!!
Okay, end of rant. This was my first Mother's Day and being new to the whole mum thing, I feel sensitive about this. Something should be done!
By the way, my mum is an absolute legend and an inspiration to me in every possible way.

Mum--A domestic goddess if there ever was one.

She never complained about anything but her own cooking, and we thankless children didn't know how delicious her meals were until we left home. Her style is quick and simple, and truly, she inspires me. When I fly home next month, I am raiding her mind for her recipes. Since I cant be home with her to celebrate this day of great women, I am dedicating this Lemon Lime Meringue Pie to her, and will probably eat it myself myself...how generous of me! I still have citrus on the brain. Happy Mother's Day all you Yummy Mummies!



LEMON LIME MERINGUE PIE (taste.com.au)

1 1/2 cup plain flour
2 tbs icing sugar
125g butter, chilled, cubed
1 egg yolk
2 tbs water, chilled
3 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup thickened cream
100ml fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice
3 egg whites, room temperature
pinch of salt
1/2 cup caster sugar, extra

Place flour, icing sugar and butter in bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Whisk together egg yolk and water. With motor running, add egg yolk mixture and process until pastry just comes together. Transfer pastry to a lightly floured surface and bring together with your hands. Lightly knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick. Line a shallow 23cm (base measurement) fluted tart tin with removable base with pastry. Trim any excess. Place in freezer for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 190°C. Place pastry case on baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until light golden.
Meanwhile, place eggs, caster sugar, cream and lemon and lime juices in a bowl, and whisk until well combined. Remove cooked pastry case from oven and reduce oven temperature to 160°C. Pour filling into warm pastry case and return to oven for 30 minutes or until filling is lightly set in centre. Remove from oven and place, still in the tart tin, on a wire rack. Set aside for 1 hour or until cooled to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Use an electric beater to whisk egg whites and salt in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add extra caster sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking constantly until thick and glossy. Spoon meringue on top of tart. Use back of a spoon to spread meringue, doming it slightly in centre and decorating with large swirls. (Make sure meringue is touching pastry right around top edge.) Bake for 8 minutes or until light golden and meringue is lightly set. Set aside for 15 minutes.


Fancied up with extra meringue swirls and lemon curd! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...