Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chefs Toolbox Party

Tonight I had a real doozy of a party.
It wasn't one of my dinner parties, this was very different--and resulted in an exploding micowave, flames, and not one, but two burnt pizza crusts.
A little while ago, a wonderful woman I have known for a long time planted a seed in my head. She had become a consultant for a company called Chef's Toolbox, holding cooking parties and selling wonderful cookware. She held a fundraiser for our Church, which is under construction, and raised $1500.00.
Impressed, I asked her more, hoping that I too, could do something similar for our little, blossoming Traditional Catholic school.
A few weeks later I'm burning pizza bases and watching flames shoot out of microwaves in a kitchen that is not my own. I laugh now, remembering a dream I had a few months ago, just after I started this blog.
Someone had seen my blog and started a hate blog in response to my posts, declaring I thought I was some sort of Domestic Goddess...when it came to the kitchen. They said I knew nothing of cooking, was a total fraud and was full of my own importance.
I awoke in horror, read all my posts and felt sober. Now I cackle away, half mad because I cannot sleep for the thought of that party I held. Where ever you are, dear imaginary Hate Blogger, I am confessing, I know nothing when it comes to kitchens, food and baking. I know nothing.

On that note, here's another delicious morsel that didn't burn. Bon Appetit!


PASSIONFRUIT CUSTARD SHORTBREADS

Shortbread:

125g butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup pure icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cornflour

Using an electric beater, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flours, and stir until well combined. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll with a rolling pin and press our 20 circles. Place on a lined tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Cool.

Custard:

2 cups milk
4 large egg yolks
6 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. cornflour
40g butter, at room temperature

Place milk in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, combine yolks, sugar and cornflour and whisk over a low heat. When the milk has boiled, add a few tablespoons into the yolk mixture and whisk. Gradually add the remaining milk and whisk vigorously on a medium heat. Custard will thicken. Continue to whisk until boils, and remove from heat. Scrape into a small bowl and sit in a tray of ice, to cease the cooking process. When cooler, add the butter in 3-4 installments, stirring until combined. Add essence, mix and refrigerate. Stores for 2-3 days.

Passion Fruit Icing:

1-2 passion fruits
1/2 cup icing sugar

Combine enough passion fruit with icing sugar to make a runny icing. Add water if further thinning is required.
Spread icing over the tops of each shortbread biscuit, Allow to dry, before wedging two biscuits together with custard.

Makes 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...