Friday, September 17, 2010

I don't even butter my bread; I consider that cooking...


What, you cant cook? You poor unfortunate. The good news is it really is just as simple as following a recipe. Easy peasy.
Before I got married, I knew I had to find a man who could had the basic culinary skills, loved being in the kitchen and had a taste for the savouries (so he wouldnt eat my sweets). 
I found him. His food, through my stomach, was the way to my heart. I like to think we make the perfect team--he is the experimental "lets put this and that in", and I tend to play it a little safer and go by the book...throwing in my own artistic splash at the end.  (and since, I have unfortunately converted him to sweets..which means I have to share).
Still, I like to think of myself as an experimental cook-in-the-making, with a passion for the sweets and attempting to make simple edibles look impressive. Its amazing what a drizzle of chocolate or a sprinkle of icing sugar can do, if you just have the ideas. My aim is to inspire the basic cook or non-cook with exciting recipes that look and taste fantastic...so get the apron on!


MINI MERINGUES WITH LEMON ICING

1 Egg white
1/4 cups caster sugar
your choice of icing


Preheat oven to 150C. Line a baking tray with nonstick paper.
Separate the egg and beat the white until stiff peaks form when electric beater is lifted.
Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well after each addition, ensuring that the sugar dissolves. To test this, take a little between your fingertips  to feel if the texture is smooth or gritty. Beat until thick, smooth and glossy, and stiff peaks form.
Pipe into small peaks on the tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes. 
Cool in oven with door ajar.
Wedge like-sized meringues together with your choice of icing, chocolate or lemon curd.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...